Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Small talk

I've never enjoyed cocktail parties.  You (you, ha ha. as if someone is reading this) might think then that I don't like "meeting" people, or don't like people, but that's not the case.  I'm fascinated by people. But in your typical social situation, you aren't meeting people.  You're meeting carefully constructed public personas.  It's not the real person.  Very few persons are who they are in a social setting.  A party, a birthday party, whatever.  I realize that it may be the only way to have contact with other members of our species but I'd rather not do it.

I'd much rather be observing people, or working with people, or at least doing something with them.  Then you really learn about a person.

But a party?  It's just talking.  You're set up with your drink and you're standing there, and you're talking.  What does talking say about you?  Are you a good talker?  Are you a real talker, as in, is that your natural state?  Does it require an effort?  And if so, what are we learning about you?

And why do we have to talk? Can't we just stand there and drink?

No comments:

Post a Comment